Lost Weekend: Troubleshooting a MySQL Installation
Spurred on by
to stop supporting FTP for publishing blogs, I have finally started the
long process to implement a
blog - hosted by myself, not
. To be fair, I am making this longer than it necessarily needs to be,
but I am continuing my efforts to maintain a comprehensive Admin guide
for all of my development efforts - configuring servers, installing
Needless to say, this adds overhead and time, but it's worth the effort.
I have invested around 40 hours of effort over the past four years on
the document (an indicator of how often I get back to my development
projects). Still, it pays off every time, because I have a reasonably
well-developed SDLC and publishing process implemented, and I need to
make sure each new project follows established standards - and adds to
the standards when necessary.
and WordPress - since I will be hosting my own blog, I need a new and
different flavor of Development, Test, and Production environments. No
more dabbling - I need to tighten up security and document the
installation and maintenance processes for the database.
Which is where I hit a wall, of sorts; I could not successfully change
the root password on the MySQL database, kept on getting the
UPDATE command denied to user
''@'localhost' for table 'user'
Hours of surfing, searching, starting and stopping, installing and
reinstalling, to no avail. However, I had seen the
mentioned a few times, and had seen error and warning messages in the
system logs that kept hinting at something in that direction. So I
finally followed the advice noted in
, and disabled AppArmor during the MySQL installation process. A few
- Use the Synaptic Package Manager utility to enable / disable
AppArmor; I didn't want to throw the whole thing out, just needed to
disable (Mark for Removal) and then Install (Mark for Installation),
did not want to completely smoke it (Mark for Complete Removal).
- After disabling in Synaptic (Mark for Removal), ran the mysql_secure_installation script from the
command line for the umpteenth time - but this time, the password
change for root user worked.
- Rebooted the machine, and reinstalled (Mark for Installation)
AppArmor in Synaptic.
A quick validation that I could use the MySQL graphical admin tools and
, and I was back to getting the Dev instance of WordPress going.
Ah, but now I have to get ready for the work week, and time is ticking